For some this ambition will require promotion through the refereeing ranks via The FA Referee Progression Pathway.
The Referee Progression Pathway creates more progression opportunities for more officials across the grassroots game (Level 5-7 & Level Y).
The priorities of the Referee Progression Pathway focus on:
- Giving referees greater control over their own progression.
- Providing a route for expedited progression for those able to provide more commitment.
- Instilling a developmental philosophy into grassroots refereeing.
- Motivating and incentivising refereeing through structural change.
- Re-energising and diversifying the referee development workforce across the grassroots game.
- Removing some of the key barriers to progress.
This methodology replaces the annual promotion process based on formal assessments with progression based on:
- Number of appointments.
- Completion of free online referee development modules.
- Support and advice from a Match Day Coach.
- Successful completion of a Laws of the Game exam.
- Attendance at face-to-face training (Level 6-5 only).