Shoreham Vs. Mile Oak HERO

Shoreham see off Mile Oak in dramatic shootout

Shoreham 1-1 Mile Oak (4-3 after penalties)

It took penalties to separate Shoreham and Mile Oak last night after an end-to-end 1-1 draw, but it was the Musselmen who held their nerve to advance to the Second Round of the Sussex Transport Senior Cup, under the lights of The Edgar & Wood Stadium.

Yet whilst the home side might have hoped to be able to settle into the game, Mile Oak had other ideas.

Barely 10 minutes in, and a long ball launched over the top found their number nine Alex Masters, who was able to control and keep his composure to slot the ball past Sam Marsden in the Shoreham goal.

Shoreham were quick to rally however, attempting a number of times to play through their own striker Alex Patching, but the Mile Oak defence was well marshalled, and throughout the first-half, were able to keep him quiet.

Indeed, the next big chance of the game fell to Mile Oak once again, with Masters again proving to be their danger man, getting in behind the Shoreham defence and a shot in on goal, but this time Marsden was equal to it, palming it away for a corner.

With five minutes left of the half, the frustrations of the Shoreham players were starting to show.

First in the book was Ross Myers, for unsporting behaviour, after he was judged to have gone down in the opposition box without contact. Levi Martin then followed him, picking up a yellow card for a late challenge.

The second-half proceeded to bring more agony for the home supporters, as Myers received his second yellow just 10 minutes into the half, this time for a mistimed tackle, and was given his marching orders by referee John Pike.

Mile Oak sought to use their man advantage to full effect, with Masters once again having an opportunity on goal, but more heroics from Marsden kept the Musselmen in the game.

This seemed to galvanise the home side however, as Shoreham had their best chance of the game with 20 minutes to go, through a well worked corner finding Patching, who’s glancing header was just wide of the post.

Yet Shoreham upped the pressure, and just a few minutes later, they had their reward.

Once again, a well-taken corner was swung into the box, this time being met by captain Martin, who rose highest at the back-post to head in the equaliser.

A frantic end to the game then ensued, with both sides desperate to grab a late winner, however, it wasn’t to be.

After two penalties each the sides were level, yet it was Mile Oak who blinked first, with Aaron Lockwood hitting the crossbar.

But when Shoreham had the chance to take the lead, Tom Bond sent his penalty well over.

The difference then proved to be Shoreham keeper Marsden, who guessed right to save a well struck penalty from Tommy Kirwin.

When another chance to win it from the spot presented itself to Shoreham, the Musselmen didn’t squander it, with Harry Robins stepping up and calmly slotting his effort past John Lyndon-Gardiner to send his side through to the Second Round.

(A selection of photographs can be found on Facebook - courtesy of Simon Roe Photography)

For more information about County Cups please contact:

T: 01903 753547

Related Match Reports

View All