Horsham vs. Saltdean

10-man Horsham reach Semi-Final

Horsham 2-1 Saltdean United

In the Feature Game for of the Quarter-Final stage in our Sussex Senior Challenge Cup, we visited The Camping World Community Stadium where Horsham took on Saltdean United. 

Horsham managed to survive a second-half onslaught from Saltdean to progress into the Semi-Final of the Sussex Senior Cup for the first time in 11 years, despite going down to 10 men. 

Goals from Eddie Dsane and Harvey Sparks were enough to see Horsham through despite former Hornet, Kieron Pamment pulling one back for the visitors. 

It was an interesting narrative for the game with Horsham’s Rob O’Toole, coming up against his brother and Saltdean manager, Bryan O’Toole.

Horsham started the game on the front foot controlling possession well but found it difficult to break down a stubborn Saltdean defence. 

It took until the twentieth minute for their best chance to come after a sensational cross-field ball from Charlie Harris, Tom Richards latched on the end of it volleying with venom across goal but sees it well saved by Broadbent. 

Just two minutes later, Richards teed off Lee Harding who was free in the box, but he snatches at the volley and it flies just wide.

It gave Horsham the confidence boost they needed and just before the half-hour mark they found the lead, with Harding breaking down the left, whipping it across goal to Eddie Dsane who taps home. It was a wonderful passing move by the Hornets. 

After the break, Horsham punished Saltdean further after another lovely passing display, Harvey Sparks broke forward and drilled home from the left of the penalty area, leaving Broadbent with no chance. 

For all Horsham’s dominance, they had looked shaky at times with several misplaced passes that Saltdean were unable to capitalise on. 

That was, until shortly before the hour mark, when Saltdean caught Horsham half-asleep from a free kick which was played forward to Kieron Pamment who buried past Sam Howes.

It gave Saltdean the confidence they needed, and this was followed up by a volley inside the box from Pamment which was fired inches over. 

Minutes later, Horsham were down to 10 men with Will Miles given his marching orders for a second bookable offence. 

Saltdean piled the pressure on but were unable to forge any meaningful chances with many balls into the box that Horsham were able to deal with. 

The Hornets then came close to finishing the game off catching Saltdean on the break. Richards, who had an excellent game, sped down the left putting it on a plate for Dsane who looked certain to score but for a last-gasp block from Marcus Allen.

Just two minutes later Saltdean came close to an equaliser with Pamment striking from outside the box which was met by Luca Bish who back heeled it into Broadbent’s midriff. 

Saltdean wouldn’t give up and kept on coming. Captain, Callum Saunders, must have realised it wasn’t going to be their day when he struck inches wide of the mark from the edge of the box.

In the end Horsham held out for the all-important win that has sent them to the Semi-Finals for the first time in over a decade where they join Three Bridges and Worthing with Eastbourne Town hosting Brighton next Tuesday.

For more information about County Cups, please contact:

T: 01903 753547
E: Competitions@SussexFA.com

Related Match Reports

View All