Worthing vs Seaford Feature Game

Second-half mayhem sees Worthing progress

Worthing 6-2 Seaford Town

From a first half that failed to alight, to a second half that produced fireworks. Seaford Town came to Worthing with a fighting attitude but ultimately fell short in a thrilling encounter in the Feature Game of our Sussex Senior Cup Second Round.

Goals from Mo Diallo (3), Tom Chalaye (2) and Marvin Armstrong was the difference for Worthing who, in the end, had the firepower to see them through. 

The first half was a struggle for Worthing with Seaford making themselves very difficult to break down. The visitors however looked to be executing a smart game-plan trying to catch Worthing on the counter. 

The Mackerel Men were getting a lot of players forward and it was almost a disaster start when Seaford countered and Simon Piper blasted a deflected shot over the bar. 

Worthing, however, immediately responded when Mo Diallo found space on the edge of the box but his shot lacked conviction and kept rising over the Seaford goal. 

Seaford were doing very well at limiting clear-cut chances for Worthing. But the biggest opportunity came for the home side when Pat Webber dinked a lovely ball in the centre of the box for Darren Budd who, with a free header, nodded it down into Mike Platt’s safe hands. 

Worthing looked safe and comfortable in possession, waiting patiently to break Seaford down. Disaster struck however, when centre back, Will Seager, got rather too confident playing a back pass straight into his own net with Harrison Male not quite on the same wavelength. 

Seaford took a shock lead, but Worthing pounced on them straight away and just two minutes later they were level. Dean Cox drove positively down the wing putting the ball into a dangerous area for former Representative Squad striker, Tom Chalaye to strike in. 

Despite the 2 minutes of madness, it was a first half that lacked big chances for both sides with the next big opening coming for Worthing right-back, Luca Cocoracchio who struck hard at Platt’s near post only for it to be palmed away.

Right from the restart, the second half looked to be spicing up already, with Seaford striker, Callum Connor, coming close to regaining their lead when, through on goal, dragged his shot inches wide. 

Then came the mayhem. Dean Cox once again driving at the Town defence attempted to take it round Platt but was brought down and won his side a penalty. 

Tom Chalaye buried the penalty with great conviction sending Platt the wrong way, driving it hard to his left. 

Seaford looked to be defeated by the penalty and fell asleep completely when Kyle O’Brien broke down the left and put it on a plate for Armstrong who coolly slotted past Platt into the bottom corner just a minute after the penalty. 

Worthing weren’t done there and just three minutes after that, Mo Diallo made it 4-1 when he latched onto the end of Budd’s through ball to curl it low around Platt into the near post. 

Seaford were not ready to exit the competition without a fight and just three minutes after that, a beautifully executed move down the left resulted in a second goal for Town with Simon Piper tapping in at the near post. 

Incredibly, another three minutes after that, Worthing added a fifth which was surely the one to send them through with Diallo striking through the legs of Platt after again being played in by Budd.

It capped off a crazy ten-minute period which saw a whopping five goals and the game going from 1-1 to 5-2. 

The remainder of the second half was much the same as the first with Worthing patient on the ball and eager to see the game out. 

With minutes remaining Chalaye was brought down in the box giving Mo Diallo the opportunity to get his hat trick from the spot. The forward, who had played brilliantly for Worthing, smashed the spot kick off the centre of the cross bar. 

Chalaye almost wormed his way through the Seaford defence on the rebound to add a third for himself but Platt was strong at his near post to deny. 

Moments later though, Diallo pounced on the end of a Cocoracchio through ball to beautifully take it round Platt and tap in for his hat-trick and make it 6-2. 

It may not have been a surprise result, but Seaford came to cause an upset and made it very difficult for Worthing at times. Onto the Third Round we go.

WvS Video Still
Highlights | Worthing v Seaford | 23.11.21
Highlights of the Sussex Senior Cup match between Worthing v Seaford played at the Crucial Environmental Stadium on 23.11.21

(A selection of photographs can be found on Facebook - courtesy of Simon Roe Photography)
(Video highlights are available above and on YouTube - courtesy of Your Instant Replay)

For more information about County Cups please contact:

T: 01903 753547
E: Competitions@SussexFA.com

Related Match Reports

View All