We’re committed to nurturing and developing new referees:
- We offer support to our match officials in their first year
- Our new referee course features 90 minutes of online learning on Laws of the Game which is free to do, plus 11 hours of face-to-face training
- To qualify, you must referee 5 games, with our support
- We have funding to help support new referees on a local level and run initiatives such as yellow armbands for under-18 referees
We’re also committed to developing the skills and experience of existing referees:
- We offer CPD modules to help you deepen or expand your skills, starting with Match Control
- The FA’s flagship development programme, FA CORE (Centre of Refereeing Excellence) is for referees who show exceptionally high levels of potential and can progress to the highest levels of the game
- Through workshops and courses, we can also help you expand your refereeing experience to successfully officiate other formats, such as Pan-Disability football, Futsal and Walking Football
We’re committed to supporting mental health:
- The FA have trained 44 Referee Mental Health Champions across 39 CFAs and counting to provide support to referees over 18. Their mission is to increase awareness of mental health in refereeing and break down stigma
- We’ve introduced ‘sin bins’ to all levels of grassroots football to encourage respect and fair play. In the 2016/17 season pilot, we saw a 38% reduction in dissent. In fact, participant behaviour improved, with players self-policing to prevent colleagues getting into trouble
Have you got what it takes? Becoming a referee is not for the faint hearted.
You need to run fit, think fast and be on top of every game. You’ll be in the thick of the action, keeping the play moving and the players, managers and supporters on side. So, what’s in it for you?
You’ll develop skills that will serve you in all areas of your life. Leadership, negotiation, personal development, confidence and staying power. There’s nothing quite like it.
Ready to take the next step?
Become a Referee
For more information about refereeing in Sussex please contact:
T: 01903 768573