Sussex County FA Disability Squad in action

Disability Representative Squad secure Semi-Final spot

Semi-Final place is secured thanks to three victories in competition

Our Disability Representative Team progressed to the South East Regional Disability 11v11 Competition Semi-Final, following victories over Sutton United, Wizards & Eagles, and Caulkhead Strollers. 

The Quarter-Finals stage took place on Saturday 2 March 2019 at Elmbridge Xcel, Walton on Thames, Surrey.  Teams were competing for the top two spots and progression to the Semi-Final of the tournament which is to take place at Middlesex FA’s Rectory Park with a date to be confirmed. 

Caulkhead Strollers vs. Sussex County FA

The first game for Sussex was against Caulkhead Strollers. The opening exchanges were frantic, in a very competitive and hard fought game. Sussex did well to control the game, as things settled down. 

The first chance came when Dylan Greaves-Lord launched a long-throw into the box, with Dave Lambert deflecting a shot straight at the goalkeeper. Having gained control of the game, following a nervy start, Sussex took the lead on 8 minutes. Lambert was able to float a lovely ball to the back post, where James Smith was waiting to head home from 5-yards.

Sussex now had a strong foothold in the game and able to create chances easily. James Francis hit a long straight free-kick, which Tristram Phipps headed just over. Marcus Moore beat a player on the right side, crossed into the middle, and Danny Alnutt headed just wide.

Sussex doubled their lead on 16 minutes when Reece Tanner had a strong shot saved and then blocked; it rebounded to Alnutt who slotted the ball into the net to make it 2-0. Ben Wray was on the pitch now, in an effort to sure things up at the back. 

We then dominated the final stages, and added two further goals. Firstly, Lambert scored direct from a free-kick, after feigning for one corner and hitting the other. He then added a penalty in the final few minutes, to make it 4-0 to Sussex, which was the final score. 

Stats: (Caulkhead Strollers-Sussex)
Goals: 0-4; Shots: 0-8; Shots-on-target: 0-5; Corners: 0-1; Fouls: 4-4; Offside: 0-2; Yellow: 0-0; Red: 0-0.

Sutton United vs. Sussex County FA 

The second game was against Sutton United, and was a much tighter affair, and a top quality match between two good sides. 

Sussex took an early lead on 2 minutes, when Smith beat two players down the left wing, squared to Tanner who had an early shot which rebounded off the post straight to the waiting Lambert, who was able to score with ease. 

There were very few chances in the remaining minutes, as Sussex controlled the tempo to their advantage. This was led by Nicole Webley, who held her position well in midfield, alongside the composed Leon Dobson-Walker. 

Sutton United did threaten, with a Player played through but Bradley Tronecone was on hand to save well. Lambert had the only other clear change, when he found space and arrowed a shot wide. Sussex held on, in relative comfort, to secure their second win of the day.

Stats: (Sutton United-Sussex)
Goals: 0-1; Shots: 1-2; Shots-on-target: 1-1; Corners: 0-0; Fouls: 0-1; Offside: 1-0; Yellow: 0-0; Red: 0-0.

Wizards & Eagles vs. Sussex County FA 

The final game of the day was against Wizards & Eagles, with Sussex knowing a win would secure their Semi-Final place. 

The tempo was a little slower for this game, as the fatigue started to come into play. The Sussex management team ensured the players stayed focussed. 

Smith was through down the left, and his cross fell to Tanner who hit the bar. Greaves-Lord also crossed well, for Smith to head wide. Lomas set the ball for Tanner, who had a fierce shot saved. Alnutt weaved through and Lomas forced another good save. Tanner nodded a high pass through the defence, which Tom Rogers latched onto but was denied. 
Sussex remained patient, following numerous chances in the game that weren’t taken. 

On 16 minutes, they took a deserved lead when Troncone rolled the ball to Lambert, he bent the ball through to Tanner who was able to score, showing great quality. 

Sussex doubled their lead on 18 minutes, and made the game safe. Tanner headed the ball into Lambert, who slotted the ball into the goal. 

They controlled the game for the final few minutes, with Martin Hunt coming on to add extra resilience at the back. The final score was 2-0. 

Stats: (Wizards & Eagles-Sussex)
Goals: 0-2; Shots: 0-9; Shots-on-target: 0-6; Corners: 2-1; Fouls: 0-4; Offside: 1-0; Yellow: 0-0; Red: 0-0.

Sussex: Tronecone, Moore, Greaves-Lord, Webley, Phipps, Francis, Smith, Dobson-Walker, Tanner, Lambert, Alnutt, Wray, Rogers, Lomas, Hunt. 

(A selection of photographs can be found on Facebook - courtesy of Simon Roe Photography)

Match report by Ollie Powell