Rep squad Trophy

Sussex crowned Disability Cup champions

Disability Rep squad win the South East Regional Competition

Our Disability Representative Squad won the South East Regional Disability 11v11 Competition held at the Middlesex FA’s Rectory Park on Saturday. 

In the semi-final, Sussex saw off Charlton Athletic Deaf FC in a convincing 5-0 win with goals from Dave Lambert (4) and Tim Partridge. Sutton United were the opponents for the final and in a more challenging affair, Sussex came out 3-1 winners to lift the trophy thanks to goals from Lambert (2) and Partridge. 

Upon arrival the squad witnessed a semi-final win from Sutton United as they edged Reading in the first of the days games. 

After seeing what they could be up against it was down to Sussex to get their job done against Charlton. 

Sussex got off to a slightly edgy start when Charlton found themselves clean through on goal, in the fourth minute, but had their effort denied by a strong Bradley Troncone stop. 

Sussex, however, took no time in reminding Charlton what they were up against and swiftly took the lead through Lambert who slotted coolly past the Charlton ‘keeper into the far corner. 

It was a dominant performance from Sussex thereafter and soon doubled their lead when Smith put in a beautiful corner, which was powered home off the head of Lambert for his second. 

Sussex dominated further in the second half and got a third five minutes in through Lambert who completed his hat-trick. The forward beat the offside trap and put it cheekily underneath the Charlton stopper. 

10 minutes later, it got even worse for Charlton when Lambert was illegally brought down in the box and up stepped Partridge to strike in the resulting penalty. 

With seconds remaining Sussex confirmed their dominance with a fifth and an absolute scorcher from Dave Lambert, firing in off the bar from range. 

The final then loomed against a very game and ready Sutton United team and it was the London side who took an early lead when, after a mix up at the back, they were gifted with an open goal. 

A crazy two minutes followed, however, which involved Sussex completely turning it around and taking a 2-1 lead. First the equaliser straight from kick-off which saw Partridge put it on a plate for Lambert, powering into the middle of the net from close range. A second goal then came moments later when Lambert struck a fearsome volley into the top corner. 

Sussex really had grit in their teeth at this point and looked to thoroughly see out the game with a third and they wasted no time in doing so when, seven minutes later, Partridge lobbed the Sutton ‘keeper from close range.

The second-half saw Sutton give it their best efforts to get back into the game but failed to really test Troncone in the Sussex net. 

Sussex came close to a fourth midway through the half when, after Lambert struck a free-kick into the wall; Partridge then followed up with a volley firing agonisingly close of the mark. 

Nonetheless Sussex hung on to the two-goal advantage and emerge victorious in Middlesex! 

Sussex: Alnutt, Dobson-Walker, Francis, Greaves-Lord, Lambert, Lomas, Moore, Partridge, Phipps, Rogers, Smith, Troncone, Webley, Wray. 

Match report by Jack Towers