Pitch Improvement Fund
Get support with improving your grass pitch
The FA Pitch Improvement Programme is a focused programme that aims to help organisations improve the quality of their natural turf (grass) football pitches.
Any organisation (whether that is clubs, schools, colleges or councils) that manages, maintains or plays on a grass pitch can get involved in this programme, and we would definitely encourage all those organisations to work together in a joint commitment so that you can share the workload and the costs.
What are the benefits?
• Expert advice and professional grass pitch maintenance programme
• Agronomist report
• Access to discounts on machinery & materials
• Access to Football Foundation grant support for pitch development and/or maintenance equipment
• Dedicated ‘natural turf groundsmanship’
• Access to training for Club Groundsman
• IOG Training Courses (and optional membership)
• Introduction to professional ground maintenance companies
How does it work?
• Complete an Expression of Interest form and return to Sussex County FA
• We will agree a date for our fully qualified Institute of Groundsmanship advisor to meet with key personnel and conduct the initial assessment
• The pitch advisor will produce a comprehensive written report (including complete soil and grass analysis, drainage, equipment, weeds and pests, renovation etc.), which will be circulated to your organisation, normally within 28 days
• A detailed pitch maintenance programme will be recommended
• It is then expected that the organisation follow the recommendations in the report
• The pitch advisor will then conduct a second ‘follow up’ visit, 12/18 months later, to monitor the improvements and to issue a Second Report to offer further advice on improvements
• If necessary, Sussex County FA will assist the organisation/s access grant aid, via the Football Foundation, in order to purchase any machinery or services to carry out improvements
Why does the pitch need testing and how much will it cost?
• Our local pitch advisors have a significant amount of experience in the managing and maintaining of natural turf pitches so are well placed to make expert recommendations to improve the performance of your surface
• It is critical that when the visit is conducted that a member from the partner organisation(s) including the groundsman are present. This allows the pitch advisor to access a history of the pitch, and make realistic suggestions that are in line with your budgets
• Without knowing the type, make-up and condition of the soil or the turf, or understand the type of maintenance that is conducted, it is impossible to make informed and detailed maintenance schedules or recommendations for improvement
• The cost for the entire programme is £150 per site, which covers the cost of the pitch advisor. The normal cost for this type of programme would be around £500 so offers a substantial saving
VISIT AND RE-VISIT FORM
For further details of the Pitch Improvement Programme please contact Stadium:
T: 01903 768575